Categorized | Politics

Here’s a reason to like Romney

FacebookTwitterGoogle+LinkedInRedditDiggStumbleUponbufferPinteresttumblrEmail

CPA can’t endorse any candidate, of course.  Both Obama and Romney are a mixed bag on trade.  But… I can say that the best reason I’ve seen to like Romney is this.

Club for Growth Refuses to Endorse Romney

Here is one reason why they don’t like him.

One of the Club’s main issues is Romney’s attack on free trade with China. ”He knows better,” [Club president Chris Chocola] said.

Yes… you read that right.  Chocola said “free trade” and “China” in the same sentence.  Brilliant man.

They won’t be endorsing Obama either.

“[Romney's] our only choice for the Republicans now, so we’re not going to criticize him,” Club president Chris Chocola said. “We’re going to hope he exceeds our expectations.”

In case you were wondering, here’s a summary of their trade positions.

Obama:  Endorsed currency manipulation legislation as a candidate, but not as president; more enforcement than before; but pushed through FTA’s with Peru, Colombia and South Korea; vigorously negotiating Trans-Pacific Partnership; no priority for balancing trade flows; has no priority or strategy for balancing trade flows.

Romney: Pledged to declare China a currency manipulator, which is a declaration without a remedy; will not endorse currency manipulation legislation; pledged to consider tariffs against,  and consider halting government procurement, from China; wants many more trade agreements; has no priority or strategy for balancing trade flows.

I might have missed something, but that’s my summary.

7 Responses to “Here’s a reason to like Romney”

1. China Watcher says:

What does the Club stand for? I had always thought that as a matter of principle Clubbers want market forces to work to the maximum extent possible with a minimum of government interference. They want free competition, not government intervention, to determine winners and losers. But now I see that they are only concerned about US government interference. They ignore foreign government interference in the form of currency manipulation, subsidies of all descriptions and regulatory chicanery to rig the competitive game. Indeed, Chocola — a failed congressman — seems to welcome just that sort of market rigging. The Club stands for nothing, it seems.

2. Frank Shannon says:

Excellent point China Watcher!!!!! Because of their libertarian paradigm, they can’t see beyond our borders.

3. Don A. McKenzie says:

FOR THOSE WHO THINK ROMNEY IS GOING TO “DO SOMETHING ABOUT CHINA.”
    I HAVE MANY BRIDGES TO CHOOSE FROM THAT’S FOR SALE!
    NOW I AM NOT ENTIRELY HAPPY WITH PRESIDENT’S APPROACH ON TRADE. HOWEVER, HE HAS BEEN WAY MORE FORCEFUL ON THE CHINA ISSUE THAN PEOPLE GIVE HIM CREDIT FOR. PART OF THE PROBLEM IS THE REPUBLICANS IN CONGRESS, WHO ARE BEHOLDEN TO THE WALL STREET INTERESTS. WHO WANT WILLY NILLY FREE TRADE IN ANY WAY POSSIBLE, ARE HOLDING REFORM UP! THE SPEAKER OF THE HOUSE IS SITTING ON THE CURRENCY LEGISLATION THAT WAS PASSED IN THE SENATE. IT WAS THE DEMOCRATS LIKE SENATOR SHERROD BROWN, WHO GOT THIS DONE. NOW IT SITS IN LIMBO BECAUSE OF REPUBLICAN OBSTRUCTIONISM! SEN. BROWN HAS INDICATED THAT HE FEELS THROUGH NEGOTIATIONS WITH THE PRESIDENT. THAT HE’S GOT THE PRESIDENT ON BOARD FOR SIGNING THE LEGISLATION! WHERE IT WAS QUESTIONABLE BEFORE IF HE WOULD DO SO.
    SO, WITH ROMNEY’S RECORD ON TRADE. AND HIS OTHER COMMENT ON THE “VIDEO” THAT MADE A LOT OF PEOPLE ANGRY. THERE WAS A PART THAT MANY HAVE NOT HEARD YET. ABOUT HOW HE REMEMBERED BACK WHEN HE TRAVELED WITH BAIN TO CHINA TO BUY A FACTORY! (THAT’S A CLEAR ADMISSION OF GUILT, & SHOWS HIS CHINA RHETORIC IS BUNK!
    SO, ONCE AGAIN, AS ALWAYS. WE HAVE TO PICK BETWIXT THE LESSER OF TWO EVILS ON THIS ISSUE. I FEEL WE WILL GET MORE TRACTION ON THE ISSUE OF TRADE REFORM WITH THE PRESIDENT! ROMNEY IS A WALL STEETER, & HE HAS BENEFITED DIRECTLY FROM OUR FLAWED TRADE POLICY! THERE’S NO WAY IN HELL, THAT ANYONE CAN CONVINCE ME THAT THIS GUY WANTS TO HELP US REFORM TRADE IN ANY WAY, SHAPE OR FORM!

• Bruce Bishop says:

Obama approached the Chinese, meekly, with hat in hand, and asked them, politely, to stop manipulating their currency. They politely told him to go pi$$ in his hat; and that, as they say, was that.

There is exactly zero evidence that Obama has any interest in saving or bringing back our manufacturing jobs. People who lose their jobs to outsourcing often become dependent on the government for unemployment benefits, food stamps or medicaid. Most of the people who are dependent on the government vote for the Democrats. It doesn’t even take a “genius” like Obama to figure that one out.

In the beginning, China needed our distribution channels in order to penetrate our markets. Now, China has enough money to buy those distribution channels, or to create new ones. Why would we assume that they will continue to allow a few American importers to become wealthy when they could take that over for themselves?

• Jim Cochran says:

I have been fighting with some Republicans over their blind persuit of a euthopia of free trade that they some keep falling for – Some of that blindness is hubris and some is greed. But the problem with Obama and apparently the whole Democratic party is the embracing of socialism, Far worse than losing some free trade deals which we can still win. Socalism has been the driver of most punishing regulations. In researching the need for a new corporate structure that is designed to compete in a global economy, I kept finding the source behind this drive was socialism hatred for capitalism, ref Sarbanes Oxley. Don’t let a crisis (Enron/Worldcom)go to waste!! From the principles I found in that effort, Obams is a socialist advocating for destruction by regulation. So let me lay out that the key characteristic of socialism and the pathology of how it plays out and it is not the sucker’s carrot of redistribution but the central planning of the academic elite. This has to be a mental disease. It never works because if I were arrogant enough to believe I could direct everyone else’s activities I would be run over by those exceptional folks going around me. That always results in anger (goes w arrogant) and then a prescriptive punishment for those non PC trouble makers is due so I issue sufficient prolific regulations and then they stop producing, dropping revenue for me to spend. Then about that time all of the freeloaders that supported me are upset that they aren’t getting what I promised and are hacking me off so I have to label them as anti-government and then they protest and occupy things and break things and then I label them as terrorists and then I jail them and it gets worse and I have to kill a few to make an example of them but then it grows to several million because they at one point supported the revolucion but lost their value as useful idiots and became a serious drag on my plans for moving forward into the eutopia of godless secular me-ism where the committee central planner emerges as the dictator whom everyone now hates except for a few well watered intercircle “admirers” from a cast of crony socialist. Socialism has killed millions which worked fine for Stalin, Lennin, Mao, Fidel. This one size descripton doesn’ quite fit all, the Russion revoluton has the killing all the producers and creating an economic disaster through bloodshed. Hugo is getting away with it because he nationalized the oil industry and has all that money to spend for now but without the oil you would have Cuba as the out come.

So trade or not, Obama represents destruction of another kind and not being able to learn from history has been the downfall of many a great nation.

4. Arthur Taylor says:

Mitt Romney is receiving tens of millions from Sheldon Adelson. Look at Adelson’s interests in China (Macau) and then stop kidding yourself about Romney and China. Guaranteed, he’ll do nothing.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

Sovereignty at Risk with Globalist Agreements

Tea Party organizations and members can show their opposition to trade and global government agreements by taking action now!

* Organizations can sign this letter asking GOP congressmen to deny Fast Track to Obama.

* Tea Party members can email their legislator to stop Obama's unconstitutional Fast Track Scheme.

Friends Don’t Let Friends Buy Imports

Sign up to receive periodic updates

Frequency