December 21, 2010
CPA News Release
Contact: Michael Stumo, 413.854.2580
The Pennsylvania Chapter of the Coalition for a Prosperous America (CPA) joined with nearly one hundred community leaders in Western Pennsylvania and Eastern Ohio to honor Congressmen Tim Murphy (R-PA) and Tim Ryan (D-OH). Murphy and Ryan co-sponsored the Currency Reform for Fair Trade Act (HR 2378) which overwhelmingly passed the House last September. Congressman Jason Altmire also attended the event. The event was called “A Holiday Salute” and held Monday evening, December 20, at the Sheraton Station Square Hotel in Pittsburgh. Photos of the event are here.
Michael Stumo presents award to Rep. Tim Murphy (R-PA)
Michael Stumo presents award to Rep. Tim Ryan (D-OH)
“CPA was proud to give the first Carl E. Jones Award to Congressmen Murphy and Ryan,” said Michael Stumo, chief executive officer of CPA. “Carl Jones embodies the values and strength of CPA as a farmer and the founder of Penn United Technologies. He exemplified the American dream in terms of personal success as well as support for his employees and his community.”
Carl Jones (1934-2006) was a farmer, toolmaker, and award winning entrepreneur from Butler County, Pennsylvania who mortgaged his farm in 1978 to start Penn United. Penn United is now a successful high tech, innovative, mid-sized manufacturing company. The company provides precision manufacturing solutions for manufacturers around the world in sectors including medical, electrical, automotive, defense, energy, and more.
“Congressman Tim Murphy worked hard to explain the HR 2378 to his Republican colleagues and convinced a majority to vote for the bill.” said Dave Frengel, chair of the Pennsylvania Chapter of CPA. “Congressman Tim Ryan was the original author of the bill. He worked for several years to get it passed, placing a high staff priority on its advocacy.”
“We are very proud that our Pennsylvania Chapter was successful in persuading all 19 of our state Congressional delegation to vote ‘yes’, on the bill,” continued Frengel. “It was our pleasure that Congressman Jason Altmire, who also fought hard for the bill, also attended our salute to Reps. Murphy and Ryan.”
Many business and community leaders were present to celebrate. Attendees represented steel, tooling, accounting, environmental, labor, and agricultural sectors as well as local government entities. CPA also presented Certificates of Achievement to the following recipients:
- Charles Blum (IAS Group, Washington, DC) for his work originating and leading the effort to pass the Currency Reform for Fair Trade Act.
- Joel Ross (CEO, Universal Electric Corporation) for his support of the Pennsylvania Chapter of CPA and hosting a press conference for Congressman Murphy to increase awareness of currency manipulation.
- Pittsburgh Chapter, National Tooling and Machining Association for its support of Pennsylvania producers and its collaboration with CPA.
- Greater Pennsylvania Regional Council of Carpenters for its work on trade reform issues and its support for collaborative activities following the Pennsylvania Economic Summit co-sponsored by CPA.
- SMC Business Councils for its support of Pennsylvania producers and its partnership with CPA in the Pennsylvania Economic Summit (held April 23, 2010).
- EconomyInCrisis.org for its continued advocacy for a strong American economy and its support of the Ohio Senate Candidate Forum on Jobs, Trade and Economic Recovery (October 14, 2010).
- John Wagner (Executive Secretary, Tri-County Regional Labor Council, AFL-CIO) for his longtime work on behalf of American workers and producers as well as his organizing efforts surrounding the Ohio Senate Candidate Forum on Jobs, Trade and Economic Recovery.
The Coalition for a Prosperous America is a nonprofit organization representing the interests of 2.7 million households through our agricultural, manufacturing and labor members.